Palliative Care at Home
Palliative care provides a lasting solution to how we deal with terminal illnesses in this century. It can be heartbreaking to watch a loved one lose their life to the clutches of one or more of these illnesses, but with the professional care that palliative care at home brings to your grasp, this problem is solved. Let’s look into what palliative care is and how it helps.
What is Palliative Care?
The World Health Organization defines palliative care as an approach that improves the quality of life of patients and their families facing the problems associated with life-threatening illnesses, through the prevention and relief of suffering through the prevention and relief of suffering by means of early identification and impeccable assessment and treatment of pain and other problems, physical, psychological and spiritual.
Simply put, palliative care is a form of end of life care that helps you to provide sufficient care for your loved ones who experience pain and other associated complications from life-threatening illnesses by assisting them to receive care in the place where they feel most comfortable and around people and memories that they have grown to love over the years.
Palliative home care makes one-on-one specialist care and support available to your loved one whenever they need it.
End Of Life Care at Home
Palliative care at home is designed to help your loved one receive specialist as and when they need access to it. While palliative care is a popular form of end of life care within a hospice or residential nursing home, in recent times palliative home care is increasingly getting much more traction than hospice care as it allows a patient to receive an end of life treatment in the most comfortable environmental conditions.
Numerous studies have shown that patients can recover faster when they are placed in excellent environmental conditions and for one who’s suffering from a terminal illness; the results are overwhelming when they receive care around the people that they love. It is also sometimes referred to in the loose sense as “hospice care at home.”
Safehands provides professional palliative home care and support services both in the short and long-term capacities to help your loved one receive an adequate end of life care from compassionate carers who have a proven track record in the health care and palliative care industry.
What does Palliative Home Care Involve?
Palliative care at home involves a variety of care tasks which are best handled by our specialist palliative care professionals, and they are;
1. Personal care and assistance living, such as assistance with bathing, dressing, and toileting
2. Continence care, including changing continence pads or managing a stoma or catheter
3. Medication support, including prompts or administering medication, even the more complex prescriptions
4. Assistance with pain management
5. Help with moving around the home, either gentle support or hoisted transfers
6. Housekeeping duties, such as vacuuming, dusting, changing beds or doing the laundry
7. Preparing meals to your tastes, and washing up afterward
8. Caring for your pet, including feeding and walking
9. Running errands to collect prescriptions or food shopping
10. Companionship and supporting your independent living at home
At Safe Hands, we can provide professional palliative care services that include all the above and more through our local branches and professionally trained palliative care specialists spread across England and Wales. Our exceptional care teams are also available on-demand to offer fast track palliative care services which are initiated within 24 hours or less depending on the severity of the care needed.
What Options are Available for Palliative Home Care?
Our palliative home care service is subject to a flexible schedule suited to attend to your personalized needs. We fully understand that every case is unique, and this knowledge is incorporated in our palliative home care service delivery. At Safehands, we provide a full range of palliative home care services, all of which are regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Here are some of the palliative home care options that you can conveniently choose from;
Our live-in care service affords you the possibility of a full-time palliative home care specialist that can provide full time palliative care and support every day to suit your requirements. This professional palliative home care specialist is chosen based on our assessment of your personal care needs and trained on how to provide adequate palliative care to support your daily needs. A live-in carer is specially trained on how to help you make the most of your independence and help your loved one live the rest of their life with the needed companionship and friendship guaranteed to help alleviate the pain and suffering that they experience.
Our respite care service, on the other hand, provides you with a professional palliative care specialist in the short term capacity. This form of palliative care at home is primarily used when your usual carer is unavailable due to one reason or the other. Our respite care option is designed to provide you with emergency care and support, to ensure that you do not experience a relapse as a result of the absence of your designated carer.
What are the Benefits of Palliative Home Care?
The benefits of palliative care at home are endless, given the fact that it helps a patient receive the best form of end of life care right from their comfort zones.
1. One of the main benefits of palliative care at home is that it affords your loved one the luxury of receiving care and support in their homes or within the confines of their comfort zone.
2. Another important one is the peace of mind that you experience with assurance that your loved one is receiving the best form of care, even in your absence.
3. Palliative care at home helps you to avoid the hustle and bustle of traditional hospice or nursing home care. With palliative home care, you can boycott the disruptions and rules of the regular hospice care.
4. Palliative home care affords you the luxury of 24-hour care, which means that you can always track any changes or developments to the health status of your loved one at any time of the day.
5. With palliative care, you can rest assured that your loved one’s carer is professionally trained and qualified to provide adequate care and support that meet up to the standard of the CQC.
How Quickly Can We Arrange Palliative Care?
At Safehands, we understand that the need for palliative care is subject to the patient’s present health conditions which in turn can be very volatile as health conditions are also subject to change, which in many cases can be unexpected.
We are equipped to provide on-demand palliative care services to cater to a wide variety of circumstances. We can also provide quality palliative care services within 24 hours of getting notified, especially in emergencies where the patient needs to start receiving care in the earliest possible time.
Regardless of whether the patient is receiving care in a hospice or nursing home already, our local dedicated care managers are trained to help make your move back home as comfortable as possible especially in cases of severe life-threatening illnesses such as advanced cancer.
Put a call through to us right away to discuss the best palliative home care options for your case and how to get started. Our customer service representatives are available at all hours of the day to attend to your inquiries and walk you through the process of providing the best forms of end of life care for your loved one(s).